Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY Lunch Bag

 
After reading many posts featuring lunch bags on Love Aesthetics, I finally decided to make my own that I can actually use as a lunch bag. Therefore I sewed a transparent plastic in the inside of the bag to be able to clean it. I kept the idea of using a stationary clip as closing like Ivania Carpio from Love Aesthetics did in her DIY. I added the chain mostly because I know I would otherwise lose the clip within days.
I have to say that sewing the bag was really not a fun thing to do as the fabric was really hard to sew and as I was fearing to destroy the plastic with every stitch I did, but I'm happy with the result and I do think it is worth the work. And when I finally had the idea to prevent the plastic from sticking on the sewing foot by using baby powder, everything got a lot easier.


What you'll need:
Faux leather
Plastic
Stationary clip
Chain & jump rings  
Fabric scissors
Fabric marker/chalk
Marker
Ruler
Sewing machine / thread / pins / flat iron
Thick plastic square (optional)


Draw and cut one 8cm x 18cm square (bottom) , two 8cm x 27cm (side) and two 18cm x 27cm squares from both the plastic and the leather. A waterproofed marker works best on the plastic.
[If you want to have a more stable bag, cut a thick plastic in to a square measuring about 16cm x 6cm.]



Layer each leather piece with a plastic piece and simply fold over the top edges, iron and sew them.
[Sew the leather and the plastic fabric of the bottom piece on three sides, then insert the plastic square and sew the last side.]


Pin the side and main panels on the bottom piece and sew it.

Sew the side and main pieces together. [ Note: You probably won't be able to sew it to the bottom with your sewing machine if you added the plastic, just finish it by hand. ]

Turn the bag on right and create a little loop out of some leather scraps. Sew it in between one side seam about 3cm away from the opening. Push the chain through the loop and close it with a jump ring. Do the same thing with the other end of the chain and the clip. (Forgot to take pictures of this step, sorry)





 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detail on how you sewed this. I really like the final result.

    There are a number of ways to make the sewing easier, depending where the problem is. For instance put a sheet of paper between the leather and the machine, or use a telfon foot, roller foot or walking foot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the idea with the paper, I'll try that next time :)

      Delete